The Ultimate Guide to Applying for a USA Citizenship Visa
A USA citizenship visa can move your life in exciting new directions. It’s an opportunity to take a new step toward the future, and to begin building a more solid foundation for your future in the United States. Becoming a US citizen is a big deal— and not just because it opens up access to some of the world’s most generous immigration policies. Becoming a US citizen also opens up access to many key benefits which you’ll only be able to get if you’re a US citizen by birth.
If you want to know more about how you can start the process of applying for an American passport, keep reading! This ultimate guide covers everything from understanding why you need an application to understanding why you might want one as well as what types of documents and evidence are required, through to some practical advice on where and how to apply for the different types of USA citizenship visa.
Read Also: The US Citizenship Program: How to Apply for American Citizenship
Before you can leave your country, you need a visa to travel abroad. There are different types of visas available depending on your nationality, the purpose of travel, and country of destination. To get a U.S. visa, you must first have your application approved by the Department of State in Washington D.C., which can take several months or even years. In addition to this, there are more than 20 other federal and state security checks that may also be required before your visa application is accepted and your passport can be issued as well.
But what does all this mean for you? Do you really need to go through all these steps? And how do you go about applying for a USA citizenship visa? This guide will help answer those questions and more so that you know exactly what needs to be done from start to finish in order
What is a USA Citizenship Visa?
A USA citizenship visa allows a foreign national to enter the United States for a specific purpose. You can apply for a residency (non-immigrant) or an immigrant (permanent) visa. If you are a permanent resident in the U.S., you can apply for a green card and eventually become a U.S. citizen.
Read Also: Work in the USA as a foreigner with work visa sponsorship
Resident aliens who are not authorized to work in the U.S. may apply for an “A” (treaty) or “ G-3 ” (treaty and general) visa. A USA citizenship visa allows you to move and work legally in the United States. You can also seek employment and study while in the country. A USA citizenship visa can be issued to the following foreign nationals:
How to Apply for a U.S. Citizenship Visa
In order to apply for a USA citizenship visa, you will need to submit the following: - Your passport showing your current citizenship. - The application form DS-160. - The required fee. The consular processing fee for a USA citizenship visa is $150 for most applicants. - The application form DS-1153. If you are not a permanent resident, you will need to submit the DS-1153 form.
Things You Will Need to Apply
- Passport with a valid passport and a blank visa page.
- Application form DS-160.
- Fee payment. For most people, the passport and application form can be done in the applicant’s home country.
- You can also go to a USA embassy or consulate in person. If you are applying for a USA citizenship visa at a U.S. consulate, you will need to bring the following items.
Read Also: Software Developer Jobs In The USA For Foreigners
- For resident alien applicants, a signed statement by the sponsor authorizes the visa application.
- For immigrant visa applicants, an approved immigrant visa petition (I-130).
What does it take to get a U.S. citizenship visa?
- You must be eligible to apply for a USA citizenship visa. You must be a permanent resident of the United States. This means you must be a green card holder or citizen.
- You must be eligible to apply for a USA citizenship visa based on the information provided in your application. You must have a clean police record, no history of aiding or abetting terrorism, a good health record, and be of good moral character. You must have sufficient financial capacity to support yourself and any dependents that you may have.
- You must have a valid passport that will not be expired before the expiry date of your USA citizenship visa. - You must have enough passport photos.
- You must have received authorization from your current sponsor to apply for a USA citizenship visa.
The Required Documentation for a USA Citizenship Visa
- The application form DS-160.
- Two passport-style photographs that meet the requirements. These must be recent, full-face passport-style photographs. They must be of you and show your face.
- A certified copy of your birth certificate showing your full name and date of birth.
Read Also: Best University to Study in the USA for International Students
- Proof of financial support, such as pay stubs, bank account statements, or a letter from your employer.
- Evidence of a relationship, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, paternity or birth certificate, or adoption papers.
- Evidence of your intention to return to your countries of origin, such as employment contracts, plane tickets, and hotel reservations.
The Eligibility Conditions for a USA Citizenship Visa
- You must be 18 years old or older when you apply for a USA citizenship visa.
- You must be a permanent resident of the U.S. on the day you apply for a USA citizenship visa.
- Your application must be approved by the Department of State.
- Your application must not be pending with the Department of State for more than two years.
- You must be able to show that you have enough financial capability to support yourself and any dependents that you may have.
- You must be able to show that you are of good moral character.
As you can see, applying for a USA citizenship visa is not an easy process. However, this is why you must be prepared for the challenge before you even begin the journey. Dao does not expect the process to be easy and does not give up. Keep in mind that this is not a one-time process.
Read Also: US Visa Everything You Need to Know
It is a long-term endeavor and you may have to wait a long time before you are successful. Be patient, stay positive and work hard and you will be successful in getting a USA citizenship visa.
Read Also: Construction Manager Jobs In the USA For Foreigners
Read Also: What You Should Know About US Family-Based Petitions
Read Also: Denied Entry to the US: Reasons and Measures
Read Also: Maintenance Service Improver Jobs in the USA: How to Apply as a Foreigner
Read Also: How to Get a Marriage Green Card in the United States
Read Also: Seven Ways To Get Your Green Card In The United States
Read Also: Audio Director Jobs In The USA For Foreigners - Here's What You Need To Know!